The manufacturer of low-friction polymers Vesconite Hilube and Superlube has introduced 3D printer bushings as stock items. 3D Printer users can replace bronze bushings or linear ball bearings with self-lubricating bushings in Vesconite Hilube (a low-friction polymer) or in Vesconite Superlube (an ultra-low-friction polymer).
Five of the most common 3D bushing sizes are available on our online order page:
- LM6UU – 12mm (outside diameter) x 6mm (inside diameter) x 19mm (length)
- LM8UU – 15mm (outside diameter) x 8mm (inside diameter) x 24mm (length);
- LM8LUU – 15mm (outside diameter) x 8mm (inside diameter) x 45mm (length)
- LM10UU – 19mm (outside diameter) x 10mm (inside diameter) x 29mm (length); and
- LM12UU – 21mm (outside diameter) x 12mm (inside diameter) x 30mm (length).
“We chose these bushings, since these are the most common bushings used globally,” says marketing and mechanical development engineer Juan van Wyk. “However, we know that there are many different printer models on the market,” he adds, noting that other sizes can quickly and easily be made with a choice of custom features (including grooves), lengths and diameters for unique housings and shafts.
Seven reasons why Vesconite Hilube and Superlube bushings are the better choice for 3D printers:
• Dimpling and pimpling occurs when a rod becomes non-uniform. The rod lifts slightly on one side and tilts on the other side as the extruder head moves from one side to another. This non-uniformity is caused by wear resulting from metal-on-metal contact and grit in the greasing mixture. With the introduction of a polymer bushing that requires no greasing, these problems are overcome.
• Vesconite Hilube and Superlube are lighter than many metals. This makes the extruder head lighter and the movement easier.
• Bronze bushings are sometimes impregnated with oil or require external lubrication. Vesconite Hilube and Superlube are self-lubricating, so grit-containing lubrication that wears away at the shaft is a thing of the past, as is the jamming of balls in the linear ball bearings, since Vesconite sleeve bushings contain no balls.
• Vesconite Hilube and Superlube 3D bushings are easy to replace and are stock items that can be ordered quickly from our new online ordering page.
• Vesconite Hilube and Superlube 3D bushings are shaft-friendly and will not cause wear, unlike their metal counterparts.
• Stick-slip occurs when dynamic and static co-efficients of friction are significantly different, and this results in the bushing supported component having a jerky motion. Since Vesconite Hilube and Superlube have lower static friction than dynamic friction, stick-slip is reduced.
• Vesconite Hilube and Superlube bushings are compounded from advanced engineering thermoplastics. The lack of metal-on-metal contact results in less noise. In an industry where printing can last many hours or days, lower noise levels are a significant benefit for users.
Order from our online ordering page.
Feel free to learn more from our FAQs.
To speak to a representative, email Juan van Wyk (juan (at) vesconite.com).
You May Also Like
3DPOD Episode 93: Bound Metal 3D Printing with Mantle CEO Ted Sorom
Ted Sorom, CEO and co-founder of Mantle, is looking to revolutionize metal 3D printing. Mantle has a paste extrusion method that features a post-machining step to mill unfinished parts and...
Big and Tall Metal 3D Printer Heralds Rocket Future for China’s EPlus 3D
Until recently, Chinese 3D printer manufacturers either stuck to selling in China, made inexpensive 3D printers, made copies of Western printers, or did some combination of all of the above....
Designing and Metal 3D Printing a Dental Implant
Les Kalman is Assistant Professor of Restorative Dentistry and Academic Lead for Continuing Dental Education at Western University’s Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry. He will be participating in Additive...
3D Printing Webinar and Event Roundup: January 23, 2022
We’ve got plenty of webinars and events to tell you about in this week’s roundup: NAMIC and CASTOR are talking 3D printed parts identification, Carbon has a major announcement, HP...
View our broad assortment of in house and third party products.