Filaments.ca is a Canadian supplier of 3D printing materials. Started by polymer specialists who saw an opportunity to make high-quality filaments available in Canada, the company now serves an international market. It produces filaments made with 100% virgin plastic with tolerances of +/-0.05mm on and +/-0.01mm ovality. By manufacturing themselves and selling directly they are able to keep costs low without sacrificing quality.
The team is now turning to innovation and process control to introduce the next generation of filaments. The True FS line of filaments is the first true food safe filament in the world. Other filament manufacturers have mentioned that the plastic may be food safe but only Filaments.ca has ensured that their entire manufacturing process results in a food safe filament.
What does this mean for 3D printer operators?
Right now you can purchase True FS PLA from Filaments.ca.
According to Founder Ron Rivkind, “This product will be different than other PLA filaments on the market that claim to be food safe as ours was specifically manufactured from the very start with food safety as a key production component.”
By following the pharmaceutical industry manufacturing standard GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) the company is able to ensure that each and every batch conforms and is safe.
The company adheres to a number of steps in order to maintain and verify the food safety of its products
- The raw materials that are used in the filaments are food contact approved materials.
- The raw materials suppliers themselves follow GMP.
- Filaments.ca follows GMP.
- All the additives used in the materials are themselves food contact approved.
- Colorants also are all food contact approved.
- All manufacturing is happening in a completely transparent and traceable way according to GMP practice.
- After production microbiological analysis and a cleanliness, verification is done to make sure that the filament is not contaminated.
- Storage conditions, locations and the monitoring of these conditions and locations are done conform to best practices. This reduces the risk of cross-contamination occurring.
- This results in Filaments.ca being able to give a declaration of conformance.
The sum total of this effort results in a true food safe filament. The company does want to point out that, “A customer should keep in mind though, that while we can guarantee the material leaving our warehouse is completely food safe, there are other risks that are beyond our control; such as the cleanliness of the 3D printer being used, the composition of the printer components such as brass nozzles and the fact that the spacing between layer lines can potentially harbor contaminants if not thoroughly cleaned/sanitized.”
The True FS Filament will be available in 18 different colors. They are: WATER NATURAL, BLACK LICORICE,EGGSHELL WHITE, BERRY BLUE,BLUE RAZ,WATERMELON RED,SEA TEAL, PINEAPPLE YELLOW, SILVER PLATTER, EGGPLANT PURPLE, STRAWBERRY RED, TANGERINE ORANGE, PINK DRAGONFRUIT, CHOCOLATE BROWN, CHARCOAL GREY, GREEN APPLE, LACINATO GREEN and MULBERRY PURPLE.
True FS Filaments will let users make food safe 3D printed products. Companies can make molds for chocolate, sweets and other food. Think of a special 3D printed mold for mash potatoes in tree shapes for Christmas for example. Or a cookie cutter could mean that this coffee shop has cookies for every major holiday or event. Bakeries and food service companies can make tools, machine parts and toppers with this filament.
By making PLA safe for food use Filaments.ca has expanded what chefs, food service professionals, bakeries and you can make using 3D printing. What’s more, the company will have a PETG variant on the market in a few months.
Head over to the page to learn more.
View our broad assortment of in house and third party products.