Dubai Announces Plans for 3D Printed Residential Building While Future Accelerators Program Gets into Full Swing
The announcement comes shortly after the official launch of the Dubai Future Accelerators program, which formally began on September 18. The program brings together entrepreneurs, companies and government agencies from various sectors to spend the next three months developing innovative solutions to 21st century challenges in the areas of infrastructure, transportation, health, energy, security and finance. It’s part of the Dubai Future Foundation, whose Chief Executive Officer, Saif Al Aleeli, commented briefly on the upcoming residential building.
“We will build a 3D residential building as our aim is to have 25 per cent of all new buildings in Dubai 3D printed by 2030,” he said. “Dubai Holding has a major contribution in the strategy and we have announced that an area will be dedicated for this technology in Dubai Industrial City.”
Dubai Industrial City, also known as Dubai Industrial Park, will house the International Centre for 3D Printing, headquarters of the Dubai 3D Printing Strategy. While Al Aleeli did not give details about the location of the first 3D printed residential building, or the cost of the project, it’s possible that it could be constructed in the Jumeirah Central district, which is being developed by Dubai Holding as a mixed use city center.
No further details about the 3D printed building project have been revealed at this time, but more information will likely be forthcoming soon. Meanwhile, the Dubai Future Accelerators program is already in full swing, with 30 companies having been selected to work closely with the government over the next few months. Brief updates have been provided about each of the eight government sectors involved in the project:
- The Dubai Police are developing systems that track criminals more efficiently through the use of behavioral, genetic and biological data, as well as using artificial intelligence to combat cyber attacks
- The Knowledge and Human Development Authority is working on advancing education with a focus on 21st century skills; one project includes the development of virtual reality laboratories for students
- The Dubai Health Authority is working to improve diagnostics through genetics, analysis and remote therapy, as well as 3D printed organ models for less costly and more precise surgical procedures
- The Dubai Municipality is focusing on eco-friendly, biologically-based initiatives that reduce energy consumption and CO2 emissions; projects include vertical urban farming
- The Dubai Holding accelerator program, working with AI to develop digital solutions in hospitality, real estate and communications, has one entry that creates interactive 3D models and specializes in “Deep Learning”
- The Roads and Transport Authority is developing an autonomous transportation and shipping system; other projects include high-speed public transportation and driverless cars
- The Electricity and Water Authority is working on renewable energy initiatives such as solar-powered cooling systems and artificial intelligence that will analyze the energy consumption of household appliances and advise owners on how to reduce it
- Emirates NBD, one of the largest banks in the Middle East, has inaugurated a new branch that will operate fully on virtual reality and artificial intelligence – the first bank in the world to operate without human employees. It will also include spaces to be used for hackathons and workshops related to financial technology.
You May Also Like
3D Printing Webinar and Virtual Event Roundup: February 14, 2021
Happy Valentine’s Day! It’s another light week of webinars, with two from Stratasys and one from Aerosport Additive and Carbon. Read on for all the details! Stratasys and its New...
Carbon and Candid Partner to 3D Print Models for Clear Dental Aligners
There’s a new partnership in the additive dental industry: Carbon and Candid have announced that they are joining forces to 3D print accurate models for clear aligners more reliably and...
New 4D Fusio 3D Printed Shoe Line from adidas Leaked
The latest adidas sneaker with 3D printed midsoles has been revealed. Dubbed the 4D Fusio, the fluorescent-colored shoes were leaked by sneaker insider hypebeast on Instagram. The new shoe has a...
3D Printing News Briefs, January 9, 2021: SPEE3D & InFocus Laser Systems, Carbon, DMC & DyeMansion, Atomstack
In this weekend’s 3D Printing News Briefs, SPEE3D’s super-fast technology is heading to Brazil thanks to a new reseller agreement, and a former GE Additive executive has been named the...
View our broad assortment of in house and third party products.