3D Printing of a Moon Base, New Technology and Ideas Make it Soon Possible

Share this Article

When you consider humans building a base on another rock floating in space, you usually think of those science fiction books you read back in high school. Fairly soon, such an accomplishment will not be the work of a science fiction writer, but instead the work of NASA, The ESA, or perhaps even a private company.

Although there are no immediate plans to build a base on our Moon, recent technological advances, as well as innovative ideas, will soon make such a project very possible. 3D printers, along with robotics could work together to make such a project cheaper, less risky, and much more likely to succeed than most experts believed just a year or two ago.

moon-featuresPrior to the advent of 3D printing, the idea of building a base on any planet, asteroid, or moon would be completely impractical. The costs of carrying materials to the moon would be so substantial, that it would make any such project dead on arrival. This has all changed. Theoretically, to 3D print a base on the Moon, the only material needed, in addition to a typical NASA mission, would be the printer itself, some sort of bonding agent, which would be used to solidify Moon dust into structures and a few tools.

The technology to print large concrete structures is already here. It’s called contour crafting, and has been researched on by Behrokh Khoshnevis of the University of Southern California’s Information Sciences Institute. He has also been working with NASA for almost four years, trying to come up with the correct schematics for printing out both Moon and Martian bases in the future. According to Khoshnevis, such bases could be printed using 90% Moon dust, meaning Astronauts would be responsible for transporting the other 10%.  This small fraction of materials would likely be made up of the bonding agents used within the concrete like substance extruded from the printer.  You can see an example of contour crafting, using a large 3D printer in the video below:

The European Space Agency is also working on a very similar technology. In fact, they may be just as far along with developing an ultimate plan, as NASA is.

“3-D printing offers a potential means of facilitating lunar settlement with reduced logistics from Earth,” said the ESA’s Scott Hovland

moon1Already, scientists in Italy have been able to actually test print structures, using a material which has 99.8% the same composition as Moon dust. The material was accidentally discovered within an Italian volcano. There are still several obstacles to overcome, all which seem possible in the next few years. Temperatures on the Moon, the lack of gravity,  and dangers to humans working the machines, all need to be factored into any final plan that may one day be set into action.

Discuss the future prospects of a 3D printed base on the moon here:  https://3dprintboard.com/showthread.php?1680-3D-Printing-a-Moon-Base

Share this Article


Recent News

Modern Foundry: Analysis & Design Guidelines for 3D Printed Plastic Casts

Comparing 3D-Printed and Traditional Guide Plates for Placing Orthodontic Brackets



Categories

3D Design

3D Printed Art

3D Printed Food

3D Printed Guns


You May Also Like

The Role of Occupational Therapists in 3D Printing & DIY Assistive Technology

Researchers from Belgium and The Netherlands offer the details of their recent study ‘Makers in Healthcare: The Role of Occupational Therapists in the Design of DIY Assistive Technology,’ exploring the...

New Frameworks for Contour-Parallel Toolpaths in FDM 3D Printing

Researchers Tim Kuipers, Eugni L. Doubrovski, Jun Wu, and Charlie C.L. Wang have released the findings of a new study in the recently published ‘A framework for adaptive width control...

PolarOnyx Researchers Use Mixed Powders and Laser 3D Printing to Make Radial Collimators

A collimator is a device that narrows a beam of particles or waves, and radial collimators can oscillate several degrees at a sample position. That’s why neutron collimators are used...

3D-Printed Bioplastics Analyzed for Material Defects & Degradation

Researchers from Poland and Spain seek more answers in the realm of materials science, releasing their findings in ‘Three-Dimensional Printed PLA and PLA/PHA Dumbbell-Shaped Specimens: Material Defects and Their Impact...


Shop

View our broad assortment of in house and third party products.


Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our 3DPrint.com.

You have Successfully Subscribed!