While an exciting variety of new startups and 3D printers are stepping up and being presented to the cutting edge technology scene this year, 2015 seems to be the year of the new 3D scanner, putting it affordably into the hands, laps–and laptops–of users greedily snapping up the innovations which allow them to do so much more right from home or even just from their smartphones, whether indoors or out.
3D Systems, ever at the forefront, and certainly never lagging behind in the daily headlines regarding new and improved technology, is announcing today that they’ll be offering a software update to the Sense Plus software for their popular Sense 3D scanner, which is the only full-color consumer 3D scanner offering the largest scan-size range.
- Printing real-world objects in 3D.
While affordability and ease are essential and heavily focused on right now with 3D scanning, users should also be thrilled to hear that they will now experience scan capture speed tripling what they were used to previously, at 25 frames per second. The experience will be smoother all around, with motion tracking improved substantially as well.
Sense is a comprehensive scanning solution that’s certainly attractive for the 3D design and 3D printing community at a price of $399, which is obviously putting forth enormous affordability compared to what has been available just in the past few years. As hobbyists began to see the need for affordable 3D scanners, producing their own with open-source designs, many of the main manufacturers also hopped on board with new innovations, features, and best of all – affordability.
Not only is pricing better, but suddenly consumers have extreme desktop and smartphone accessibility with 3D scanning, allowing them to 3D scan—from wherever, at whim—and then zip right over to their 3D printers and produce 3D printed models and objects, as well as sending scanned images directly to 3D printing service bureaus if they don’t have access to a printer or they have other printing equipment or material needs.
With Sense, 3DS offers the user the ability to:
- Go from physical object back to the digital platform, and back to 3D printing, as scans are 3D print ready and can be uploaded to the cloud.
- Use the fastest scanning equipment available at this quality and price level.
- Perform mobile, handheld scans, and enjoy compatibility with the Microsoft SurfaceTM Pro 2 tablet.
- Experience a streamlined, enhanced experienced with better tracking.
- Perform scanning in a wide range of sizes from small to large, to enormous—with scans of ten feet tall and wide possible.
- Use precision focus with automatic object recognition.
- Use a full-featured editing program that’s also intuitive and user-friendly.
- Mash it up by merging scans in Cubify Sculpt, enjoying the opportunity to get even more creative by importing and combining scans.
- Enjoy 12 different options for language.
Have you been using the Sense 3D scanner and will you be downloading the free update from Cubify? Are there other features you hope to see included further down the line? Tell us your thoughts in the Sense 3D Scanner forum at 3DPB.com.
You May Also Like
3 Key Indicators of Great Company Culture
Additive manufacturing is not immune to the thread that binds a team or company together. A thread better known as ‘company culture.’ Each business has one, each one is different....
3D Printing Webinar and Virtual Event Roundup: March 21, 2021
We’ve got over ten different webinars, online trainings, and virtual events to tell you about in this week’s roundup, covering topics from 3D modeling and electroplating to 3D scanning and...
3D Printing Webinar and Virtual Event Roundup: March 13, 2021
From a new 3D printer and the future of industrial 3D printing to the hazards of AM fumes, a lot of different topics are being covered in the webinars and...
3D Printing News Briefs, February 27, 2021: Zortrax, Fictiv, Bluestreak I Bright AM, nTopology & KW Micro Power
In today’s 3D Printing News Briefs, Zortrax announced that it’s lowering the price on one of its 3D printers. Moving on to business, Fictiv is welcoming two new members to...
View our broad assortment of in house and third party products.