A country that we don’t hear about too often in the 3D printing world is Iran, so we’re always interested to learn about new tech developments happening over there. Over the last few months, we’ve begun to see signs of a growing 3D printing industry in Iran, where before it had been mostly quiet. When a country first begins appearing on the 3D printing map, it’s exciting – you never know when a new leader may emerge, so we’ve been keeping tabs on Iran lately, and the news continues to point in the direction of an accelerating 3D printing industry.
At the end of last month, we were pleasantly surprised to hear about a significant 3D printing presence at the Iran Gold Expo, and in May the country is planning to hold its first additive manufacturing symposium. According to Ahmad Mokhtari of 3DBaz, the event was initially scheduled to take place in January, but was pushed back to a later date so that additional sponsors and speakers could be invited. Entitled “Additive Manufacturing: Opportunities and Challenges,” the symposium is now scheduled to take place in Tehran from May 9 to 10.
“As a 3D Printing enthusiast, I’m…so excited to see and know what is going to happen in this event,” Mokhtari tells 3DPrint.com. “…[3DBaz will] do our best to help and support this event since we are the biggest 3D Printing news agency in Iran. We’ve got worldwide information about AM and its applications. Combining with scientific achievements will make a huge impact to grow businesses, services and etc.”
Although, as Mokhtari says, there isn’t a tremendous amount of news coverage of Iran’s emerging 3D printing industry at the moment, I’d be surprised if the upcoming symposium doesn’t get some significant attention. Several expert keynote speakers have been lined up so far, including:
- Dr. Mahmood Shokrieh, Secretary of Materials and Advanced Manufacturing Technologies – Vice Presidency for Science and Technology
- Dr. Mohammadreza Riahi, Advanced Manufacturing Technologies, Khajeh Nasir Toosi University of Technology
- Dr. Farshad Barazandeh, Additive Manufacturing Technologies, Amirkabir University of Technology
- Dr. Mohsen Badrsamay, Additive Manufacturing Technologies, Isfahan University of Technology
- Dr. Ehsan Dorouzmehr, Isfahan University of Technology
- Dr. Farid Shirazi, Biomaterials, University of Malaya
- Dr. Amirhossein Behravesh, Additive Manufacturing, Tarbiat Modares University
- Dr. Abdolreza Simchi, Advanced Manufacturing Technologies, Sharif University of Technology
- Dr. Abbas Azari, Advanced Manufacturing Technologies, Tehran University of Medical Sciences
Topics to be covered include, according to the symposium’s website, the aerospace and defense industries; automobile manufacturing; tool and mold making; medical sciences; jewelry; and construction and architecture. The symposium will be taking place at Islamic Azad University in Tehran; for more information, you can contact the organizers here. We’re looking forward to learning more about Iran’s growing 3D printing industry in the coming months! Discuss in the Iran forum at 3DPB.com.
View our broad assortment of in house and third party products.