In our ongoing efforts to provide the most comprehensive resources in 3D, 3DPrint.com is thrilled to announce an upcoming feature as we host our first webcast next month. This webcast, free to enjoy, will run on Thursday, June 23rd, and features a company that has certainly caught our eye here before. Body Labs will be hosting the webcast, How to Use 3D Body Imaging to Innovate In the Apparel or Footwear Industry, to help us all understand the incredible ways that technology is tackling issues in the economics of the fashion industry.
As Body Labs has discovered, a whopping $62.4 billion worth of apparel/footwear purchases around the world were returned in 2015 simply because the sizing was incorrect. For an industry valued at $1.2 trillion annually — and $250 billion in the US alone — size, clearly, matters. Thanks, however, to 3D technologies, the power to ensure fit is right at our fingertips, as it can now be possible to virtually try clothes on and use 3D body models to digitize any human body.
- 23 percent of all clothing purchased gets returned.
- 64 percent say incorrect fit is the major reason for returning clothing.
- 85 percent would purchase at least one to two more articles of clothing during a single transaction if they could ensure a proper fit.
- 58 percent of respondents would purchase clothing more frequently if they could ensure a proper fit.
- 46 percent “hate” trying on clothing in a fitting room.
- 59 percent of shoppers prefer shopping in-store compared to online.
- 57 percent of consumers only purchase apparel or footwear online from brands or styles they know will fit.
- High-volume and high-frequency shoppers are 120 percent more likely to prefer shopping online — 275 percent for footwear.
These numbers speak for themselves, and do so quite clearly. With major trends toward online shopping, ensuring fit is imperative in a way incomparable to any seen in the past. Because Body Labs is able to analyze the shape of the human body both at rest and in motion, the company is set on its mission: “to provide a 3D digital human body platform upon and around which goods and services can be designed, manufactured, bought and sold.”
On June 23rd, from 2:30 PM to 3:15 PM (EDT) hosted by 3DPrint.com, Body Labs’ webcast will examine recent research. Presented by Body Labs’ chief evangelist, Jon Cilley, discussion will center on how 3D body imaging can:
- Find the perfect apparel fit by extracting detailed customer measurements at scale
- Customize sizing recommendations for online retail by correlating garment or footwear measurements to individuals
- Help customers find the right styles through virtual try on
Registration is free — so join us in learning more about how 3D technology and apparel can come together to ensure the perfect fit! Are you interested in the webcast? Discuss further in the 3DPrint.com Free Webcast forum over at 3DPB.com.