In September, BCN3D Technologies made a slew of announcements. The Barcelona-based company is best-known for its Sigma 3D printer, and recently it decided to go big with the release of the Sigmax, a dual-extruder, multi-material machine with a large build area of 420 x 297 x 210 mm. At the same time, BCN3D announced that it would be offering its own version of Cura software, as well as releasing some new materials called BCN3D Filaments. Now those materials are available to the public and can be purchased through the company’s web shop.
BCN3D Filaments are industrial-grade materials designed to work well with the Sigma and Sigmax 3D printers. Although both printers remain open for the use of other filaments, the new ones are optimized for BCN3D’s printers.
“This, and the new BCN3D Cura, is part of the strategy in order to have a full Open ecosystem, that means that the Sigma is an open materials 3D printer but BCN3D is also providing the closed solution for that customers that want to minimize risks,” BCN3D CEO Roger Uceda told 3DPrint.com.
The new materials portfolio includes:
- PVA: This material has been reformulated to be more reliable and works with PLA, TPU, PET-G and Nylon as a support material for the 3D printing of complex geometries, cavities or overhangs.
- Nylon: is well-liked for its durability, flexibility and resistance to corrosion. It’s good for many applications, including custom jigs and fixtures.
- PET-G: is as easy to use as PLA, but has better mechanical, chemical and thermal properties. It’s a widely used material and is entirely recyclable.
- ABS: This material has also been reformulated to address some of its common problems, offering good interlayer adhesion and reduced warping.
- TPU: a rubber-like, flexible material with a Shore A hardness of 95. It is a highly resistant material that’s good for a variety of applications, and has been specially designed to improve the 3D printing experience.
- PLA: is biodegradable and food safe.
BCN3D is also offering several composite materials, but these aren’t part of the BCN3D Filaments brand and will be provided by colorFabb. These include wood-filled materials (woodFill and corkFill) which are described as being good for figurines, aesthetic models and architectural mockups, and metal-filled materials (bronzeFill, copperFill and steelFill), which are also good for figurines and aesthetic models as well as finishing components. There’s also XT-CF20, a carbon fiber-filled material ideal for mechanical components and end-use parts.
All materials under the BCN3D Filaments brand are made in Barcelona, with the exception of nylon, which is manufactured in the US by MatterHackers. In the future, the company plans to release additional technical materials as well. If you’re interested in purchasing any of BCN3D’s new line of filaments, you can do so in the company’s online store here.
Discuss this and other 3D printing topics at 3DPrintBoard.com or share your thoughts below.[Images: BCN3D]
You May Also Like
Covestro TPU Used to Make 3D Printed Insoles
3D printed orthotics are not new to our industry, but this particular project is. Using Create it REAL‘s software suite and Covestro Addigy FPU 79A thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU), as well...
HP & Ford Team to Recycle 3D Printed Waste into Car Parts
In some of the most interesting additive manufacturing news I’ve heard recently, HP and Ford announced that they have teamed up to revolutionize how 3D printing waste is reused in...
Circular Economy: Supernovas Transforms Plastic Waste into 3D Printed Furniture
Plastic waste is being converted into filaments used to 3D print unique furniture and objects. Supernovas, a recently launched London and Milan-based circular design and lifestyle company, has shown that...
3D Printing News Briefs, February 13, 2021: Jilin University, University of Alberta & Royal Military Academy, voxeljet, Google ATAP
We’ve got more research and 3D printed products to share with you in today’s 3D Printing News Briefs, so read on for the details! 3D Bioprinting Tissue & Organoids for...
View our broad assortment of in house and third party products.