Dassault Systèmes is undeniably a leader in 3D software, and we follow the France-headquartered company continually. The 3DExperience platform makes headlines around the world as the Dassault Systèmes team has helped other global leaders in industry such as Airbus to expand design capabilities, furniture companies to design better and faster, and the automotive industry to employ more intelligent software solutions. Meant to offer industry solutions for some big clients with complex needs, 3DExperience is multi-faceted. SOLIDWORKS, known worldwide as a multi-faceted design tool and software, is often mentioned in connection with 3DExperience, as that is the power behind it.
Today, though, it’s time for SOLIDWORKS to take center stage. As Dassault releases SOLIDWORKS 2017, they announce that with the latest version of this software, users will be able to look forward to creating ‘multisensory experiences’ as they innovate via digital design. Users are given the opportunity to access 3D designs and development applications, and as Dassault Systèmes explains, they will be able to do this anytime, anywhere, from any device.
Following are the major new updates to SOLIDWORKS:
Innovating with PCB design
- SOLIDWORKS PCB—synchronize electronic and mechanical design effortlessly and on demand with a combination of electronics design expertise from Altium and user-friendliness from SOLIDWORKS.
- User-friendly interface—a unified environment is offered for schematic and layout tools so that the user is able to select the best routing options based on design constraints with Interactive Routing, AutoRoute, Multi-Track, and Differential Pair. Users are able to locate and select new components for informed decisions with real-time supplier data, and incorporate SOLIDWORKS models within the PCB design environment to verify electro-mechanical design intent.
Accelerating design with greater core power and performance
- Modeling power—the process is much faster in design thanks to new tools for Chamfer, Fillet, and Advanced Hole Specification, creating multiple variable chamfers in one simple operation. The user is able to switch any pre-existing Chamfer to a Fillet and vice versa to apply design changes instantly, capture and access previous hole definitions, and apply pre-saved specifications right away, along with constructing stepped holes faster with one operation.
- Surfacing—remove obstacles to creating complex 3D geometry, save time and avoid complex workarounds with new surfacing features such as wrap, drag and drop, emboss, deboss, or 3D Curve.
- Magnetic mates—handle large, challenging assemblies by easily organizing equipment and space, publishing parts and assemblies as assets with appropriate connection points for easy drag and drop mating, and easy repositioning of models.
Using simulation to validate design insights
- Simulation static study—use input parameters to automatically make logical decisions.
- Stress hot spots—quickly identify these to investigate a model or set up further simulation and verify results.
- Single-click conversion—instantly convert studies from linear static to non-linear or dynamic.
- RealView—display simulation results to clearly communicate analysis.
Improving collaboration by unlocking new streamlined design workflows
- 3D Interconnect—use both neutral and native CAD data, such as updating part and assembly files as design changes take place with the Update Model feature, directly opening imported files and treating them like Base Parts, or unlocking workflows from various sources to collaborate with customers and vendors.
- eDrawings—visualize all types of product design data for simple and accurate collaboration, from native CAD formats to 3D reality with Google Cardboard. Access product data anywhere with mobile apps for both Android and iOS devices.
Building and managing with data integration, from concept to manufacturing
- SOLIDWORKS PDM—improve team management and collaborations in design as you control data and ensure access to the right version. Enhance support for SOLIDWORKS MBD (model based definition) with auto-generated 3D PDFs, list native CAD files in the SOLIDWORKS PDM Vault check-in structure, keep track of where they are used and overwrite versions to minimize clutter.
- SOLIDWORKS MBD—quickly and accurately communicate critical product information throughout downstream manufacturing operations with features such as basic dimensions and fully automated Polar Dimensioning Schemes, direct referencing of edges, easy creation of intersection geometry between drafted surfaces, and 3D PDF publishing at different accuracy levels for control over file size and quality.
“We must fulfill a lot of medical device requirements, and SOLIDWORKS has been helpful for leveraging cutting-edge industrial design to get our work done faster and our myoelectric upper limb orthosis to market,” said Andrew Harlan, principal mechanical engineer, Myomo.
“We exclusively use SOLIDWORKS for the full spectrum of our design work. The ability to collaborate with industrial designers, consultants and manufacturers across different time zones simplifies the whole process. The SOLIDWORKS models are so accurate and appealing that we can quickly design, iterate and improve a highly technical part.”
No matter the level of expertise, users will find that they are experiencing greater productivity, especially using simulation, allowing them to analyze, solve, visualize and verify functionality of designs, before any prototype is created. Due to the new tools included in this release, users will find it easier than ever to work with and collaborate with both vendors and their customers. The product data management feature is also dynamic, offering greater support of teams, whether they are multi-site or remote.
“SOLIDWORKS 2017 simplifies the design and development process with a better user experience, new capabilities for emerging technologies, and improved functionality for seamless collaboration with teams and networks,” said Gian Paolo Bassi, CEO, SOLIDWORKS, Dassault Systèmes.
“Each year, our SOLIDWORKS community’s feedback drives our research and development to offer a flexible product portfolio for business, design and engineering needs. We are excited to put even more power and performance in their hands with SOLIDWORKS 2017.”
You May Also Like
Metal 3D Printing: Kennametal Offers Binder Jet Tungsten Carbide
Kennametal has launched its KAR85-AM-K, tungsten carbide for binder jetting. The material, which is comparable to its existing CN13S Co-Ni-Cr powder, is tough, hard-wearing and ideal for wear-resistant parts and...
Ahead of Public Listing, New Members Join VELO3D Board
VELO3D announced the addition of three new board members ahead of its highly anticipated public listing on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the new ticker symbol “VLD.” The...
3D Systems Acquires Oqton to Drive 3D Printing for Production
In the AM industry’s second acquisition of the day, 3D Systems (NYSE:DDD) now has an agreement to acquire software startup Oqton, a global SaaS company founded by manufacturing and artificial intelligence...
Desktop Metal Adds Hydraulics 3D Printing to Portfolio with Aidro Acquisition
Massachusetts-based metal 3D printing leader Desktop Metal (NYSE: DM), which went public via a SPAC deal in December of 2020, has been announcing a string of industry acquisitions since then,...
View our broad assortment of in house and third party products.