The RepRap movement continues to expand its reach, both in terms of individuals embracing the printers out there, as well as the sheer number of printers available within the community. There are so many designs for RepRap printers out there, that it can oftentimes be overwhelming for those new to the technology.
One of the more popular RepRap printers has been the Omerod. Launched back in late 2013 by RepRapPro, the 3D printer, at the time was likely the cheapest one on the market, if purchased in kit form from the company. Of course, since it is a RepRap 3D printer, the bulk of the parts can be 3D printed at no cost if a user desires, and the full instructions on how to put the printer together was, and still is available online, free of cost.
Just recently, RepRapPro expanded upon the Omerod framework by launching the Omerod 2 3D printer. Similar to the first rendition of this self-replicating machine, the Omerod 2 will sell in kit form at RepRapPro for just £449.00 +VAT. This will include a 12 month warranty and dedicated support. For those who would rather print the plastic parts and construct the machine from scratch, the full directions and file information can be found here.
The Omerod 2 will have many of the same specifications as the original Omerod. Below are some of some of the general specs of this new machine:
- Build volume: 200 x 200 x 200mm
- Overall size: 500 x 460 x 410mm
- Weight: 6 Kg
- Printing materials: ABS, PLA, 1.75mm diameter thermoplastic
There are, however, several key differences between the Omerod and the Omerod 2, which make it a decent upgrade from its predecessor. Below is a short list of some of these differences and improvements:
- Improved Y-axis support and adjustment
- Improved Web Interface
- Heated bed is now supplied with a pre-made loom (not a ribbon cable) and the bed thermistor is pre-crimped to the connector pins
- The extruder has much easier access for cleaning. It has a locked drive stack that improves reliability
- Upgraded wiring and PSU are now compliant to CE class A
- Y-rib now fits behind the linear bearings, making it nearer to the bed support screws in the corners of the bed support
- Y-belt locks into place in the carriage
- Y-motor is at the other end of the y-axis, and mounted in slots to allow belt tension to be adjusted
- Easier bed adjustment
- Duet is mounted in a metal enclosure
- All wiring looms use shielded cable
- A cooling fan is fitted to the enclosure
- 4-wire modulated Z-probe sensor is included
- Although the Duet board looks the same, the 5V supply is now provided by an external linear regulator
- Bed retaining clips are photo frame clips
- Fan duct air outlet shapes are changed, and there are 2 cable tie loops on the top
Currently for those of you wishing to purchase a Omerod 2 kit from RepRapPro, there is a product lead time of 20 business days because of the overwhelming demand. Let us know if you intend to purchase the kit or print the plastic parts out and construct this machine yourself. Discuss in the RepRap Omerod 2 forum thread on 3DPB.com.
You May Also Like
3DPOD Episode 39: Roboze Founder Alessio Lorusso and High-Temperature 3D Printing
Alessio Lorusso built his first 3D printer at 17 and went on to bootstrap his company Roboze. His enthusiasm and drive really shine through in this episode of the 3DPod....
Bioprinting Method Improves Efficiency in In Vitro Fertilization
Researchers at the University of Bari have developed new methods of 3D printing for more effective assisted reproduction interventions and procedures for the protection of endangered species. In vitro fertilization...
3D Printing and COVID-19: DreamLab Under Investigation Due to Customer Complaints
While many additive manufacturing operations may have appeared to be booming earlier in the spring, 2020 is turning out to be a bad year for DreamLab Industries. This is true...
Motorized, 3D Printed Shoes Could Make Virtual Reality Truly Immersive
Some prefer reading, others would rather binge-watch the latest Netflix show, and then there are the gamers. We often see 3D printing used in the gaming world, with classic board...
View our broad assortment of in house and third party products.