The RepRap movement continues to expand its reach, both in terms of individuals embracing the printers out there, as well as the sheer number of printers available within the community. There are so many designs for RepRap printers out there, that it can oftentimes be overwhelming for those new to the technology.
One of the more popular RepRap printers has been the Omerod. Launched back in late 2013 by RepRapPro, the 3D printer, at the time was likely the cheapest one on the market, if purchased in kit form from the company. Of course, since it is a RepRap 3D printer, the bulk of the parts can be 3D printed at no cost if a user desires, and the full instructions on how to put the printer together was, and still is available online, free of cost.
Just recently, RepRapPro expanded upon the Omerod framework by launching the Omerod 2 3D printer. Similar to the first rendition of this self-replicating machine, the Omerod 2 will sell in kit form at RepRapPro for just £449.00 +VAT. This will include a 12 month warranty and dedicated support. For those who would rather print the plastic parts and construct the machine from scratch, the full directions and file information can be found here.
The Omerod 2 will have many of the same specifications as the original Omerod. Below are some of some of the general specs of this new machine:
- Build volume: 200 x 200 x 200mm
- Overall size: 500 x 460 x 410mm
- Weight: 6 Kg
- Printing materials: ABS, PLA, 1.75mm diameter thermoplastic
There are, however, several key differences between the Omerod and the Omerod 2, which make it a decent upgrade from its predecessor. Below is a short list of some of these differences and improvements:
- Improved Y-axis support and adjustment
- Improved Web Interface
- Heated bed is now supplied with a pre-made loom (not a ribbon cable) and the bed thermistor is pre-crimped to the connector pins
- The extruder has much easier access for cleaning. It has a locked drive stack that improves reliability
- Upgraded wiring and PSU are now compliant to CE class A
- Y-rib now fits behind the linear bearings, making it nearer to the bed support screws in the corners of the bed support
- Y-belt locks into place in the carriage
- Y-motor is at the other end of the y-axis, and mounted in slots to allow belt tension to be adjusted
- Easier bed adjustment
- Duet is mounted in a metal enclosure
- All wiring looms use shielded cable
- A cooling fan is fitted to the enclosure
- 4-wire modulated Z-probe sensor is included
- Although the Duet board looks the same, the 5V supply is now provided by an external linear regulator
- Bed retaining clips are photo frame clips
- Fan duct air outlet shapes are changed, and there are 2 cable tie loops on the top
Currently for those of you wishing to purchase a Omerod 2 kit from RepRapPro, there is a product lead time of 20 business days because of the overwhelming demand. Let us know if you intend to purchase the kit or print the plastic parts out and construct this machine yourself. Discuss in the RepRap Omerod 2 forum thread on 3DPB.com.
Subscribe to Our Email Newsletter
Stay up-to-date on all the latest news from the 3D printing industry and receive information and offers from third party vendors.
You May Also Like
AI-driven Software is Unleashing Growth in Additive Manufacturing – AMS Speaker Spotlight
Additive manufacturing has been gradually gaining ground, but the road to widespread mass customization, on-demand and serial production has been bumpy. Manufacturers eager to embrace this technology are held back...
The Fight for Clean Data in Additive Manufacturing – AMS Speaker Spotlight
Dirty data costs the additive industry millions of dollars a year. Material parameter development, operational mistakes, or part failure could all be avoided if reliable, detailed and comprehensive data about...
New Mitsubishi Electric Automation Software Simulates Production Lines for 3D Printing
Mitsubishi Electric Automation, a U.S. subsidiary of the Japanese multinational, has announced the release of MELSOFT Gemini 3D Simulator Software. MELSOFT Gemini 3D is a digital platform designed for simulating...
AME-3D Taps AMFG Automation Software to Strengthen 3D Printing & Vacuum Casting
According to SmarTech Analysis in its “Opportunities in Additive Manufacturing Software Markets 2023” report, this market is expected to grow faster than previous projections showed, as it’s “evolving at a...