The legacy of the RepRap movement is that hard-working teams at companies like Electron 3D are able to take an open source design and make it their own, adding new features and functions that are attractive to a wide range of users. They are able to offer these kits at very low prices as well, and are becoming well known for their sales offering limited quantities to those lucky enough to order in time.
Geared toward the world of the authentic maker and tinkerer, last we checked Electron 3D was releasing their Electron Mix G3–and previous to that, their iteration of one of the most popular open-source printers out there–the Prusa i3 kit (with the original source dating back to 2012). Now, Electron 3D is back with another variation, offering the Electron 3D Slimbot – Prusa i3, again on 3D Printers Online Store, and promising fewer parts, easier assembly, and high performance.
With a deal ending in just two days, Electron 3D fans can scoop up this kit for only $239 (with greater discounts allowed if you purchase more than one). This is a seventh-generation model and offers a completely open-source design.
Arriving at your door as a complete kit with all the parts for easy assembly and printing, the Slimbot allows for options such as a larger build area, expanding from the standard aluminum print bed plate from 200 x 200 x 200 mm to 200 x 280 x 200 mm for only $60 extra USD.
The auto-leveling version uses a proximity sensor to detect the aluminum print bed where the normal version of the printer uses a micro-switch to detect the end of travel for the Z-Axis movement (vertical limits).
You can also look forward to the addition of the automatic platform levelling and height detection for a mere $50 more. It employs a proximity sensor to detect the aluminum print bed where the normal version of the printer uses a micro-switch to detect the end of travel for the Z-Axis movement (vertical limits). And while you’re at it, you might as well add on the Pro E3D Bowden Metal Extruder too ($60).
- USB 2.0 bundle
- Two rolls of filament
- 8 GB SD card
- Assembly tools
The Slimbot is quiet, no-fuss, and offers stable construction resulting in high precision, high quality 3D prints. The regular price is $359 for Electron 3D’s newest printer of 2016, with the discount only being offered for the first 50 units sold.
- Layer resolution of 50 microns
- MAX Printing Speed: 150 mm/s
- Build size: 200X 200 X 200mm. Large print area of 200 x 280 x 200 mm (optional)
- Full Metal E3D Bowden long distance extruder
- Material type: PLA, ABS, PETG, Wood, PVA and Flexible Filaments (With Pro Metal Extruder)
- Material specifications 1.75mm in diameter
- Positioning accuracy: Z 0.004mm, XY 0.012mm
- Printing Color: Single color
- Nozzle diameter: 0.4mm (customized 0.3mm/0.2mm
- Recommended extruder temperature: 210°C (the maximum can be set to 260°C)
- Heating plate temperature: 60-120°C (proper winter warming and summer appropriate cooling)
- Best ambient temperature: ≥25°C
- Power requirements: 220V, 250W, 50Hz, 0.89A
- Connection: TF card or USB
- File print format: STL,G-Code
- Compatibility: Windows, Linux, Mac
- CE, FCC specifications: CE, FC, ROHS
- Device weight: 7.5kg
- Equipment size: 430 X 4430 X400mm
- Package size: 440X 340X 190mm
This should prove to be a great machine for those who are experienced at putting together kits. For more information, check out the video below regarding assembly. Shipping is provided free to the US and most other countries as well. Discuss in the 3D Printer Flash Sale forum on 3DPB.com.